Saturday, August 15, 2009

Experiences and Memories

Well, I've been a little behind on my "technology" these past couple of weeks. I've been traveling a lot and my ability to keep up with my facebook, email, text messages, phone calls, and now my blog has been not so great. I know pretty much everyone has to keep up with these things on a daily basis, and I should be able to do the same, but you are quite limited when you are staying in a Motel 6 with no internet access. 

I ended up visiting New York to work at a farm show this past week with my Dad and brother Drew. I just bought my MacBook Pro, printer, and iPod, so I'm kind of broke and in need of making as much money as I can. Plus I thought it would be fun to see what these farm shows are really like that my dad always talks about. We left last week sunday and arrived at our Motel 6 in Geneva at about 1:00 am. The next day was spent setting up for the show and the other days Drew and I blew up balloons for all of the kids that came to our booth as well as explored all of the other booths. I even ended up driving some tractors! While I was there, I learned how to really live like a farmer. It was unbelievably muddy, hot, and humid outside, and when we arrived at our motel at the end of the day, it wasn't necessarily clean (yes, there was a dead ant in our supposedly clean, new towels). I had to give up my well-nurtured, city sense of hygiene and take pride in the mud and sweat of the country life. My dad was so proud.  

Friday we arrived home at 4:00 am so I could babysit at 10:00. That afternoon I got ready to do some lively swing dancing downtown with my friends. My Aunt Hett had just arrived at my Grandma's house and I quick stopped over to say hello. All dressed up in my swing dancing attire (a dress with spaghetti straps) Aunt Hett asked if I was wearing a bathing suit. I tried very hard not to laugh. And then I was asked if the swing dancing I was going to was with a Christian Organization. Again, I tried not to laugh (apparently they were teasing when they asked... ha). After a good night of dancing and watching an old black and white film downtown, we camped out in my friend's backyard... a last hurrah for some who are going away to college in the next couple of days. 

It has been a busy couple of weeks, but it has been a good couple of weeks. Lots of good experiences and memories before I take off for college, and I can't wait to start creating those experiences and memories there either. 

  

1 comment:

  1. i can only imagine aunt hett and grandma asking you those questions! too funny!

    glad you have enjoyed your summer and get to enjoy just a little bit more of it!

    ReplyDelete