Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas, December 27

This is the first year that my family has not celebrated Christmas on Christmas day. Seeing as everyone in the family has in-laws now, the family time has to be divided somehow, and this year that means celebrating Christmas on Tuesday, December 27. So, today, after going to church and eating lunch, I spent the day with my parents watching Christmas movies and playing Scrabble. I have to say, it was rather odd not having anyone home, but I was strangely not too disappointed.

As I've grown up, the direction of my joy and excitement has changed quite a bit- going from toys and presents to knowing that Christmas is about a loving Savior who gave up his life for my own. I couldn't help but get a little choked up in Church this morning listening to the trumpets and drums playing Christmas music, glorifying the birth of our Savior.

It also made me a little sad that for most people around the world, Christmas revolves around a pretend man in a red suit, and hearing jingle bells played on the radio.

Even though we didn't "officially" celebrate Christmas today, I've realized that I don't have to confine Christmas to December 25, because Jesus' birth, life, and death are a part of each and every day of the year.

“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment